Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Keep Walking

This morning, I went for a walk. The path I chose took me down a winding, wooded road near our home. Today, I've found myself lingering on the idea of my life's journey. We can all agree that at some point we draft a plan of what our life's journey should look like--when we'll get married, how many kids we'll have, what our career will look like, where we'll travel, what type of home we'll live, and the list continues. Some of us prefer a leisurely walk in the park knowing exactly how far we'll go and with minimal bumps in the road. Others long for adventure and an uphill course that challenges them with every turn.

Life is funny, because we think we are in control. We think we know what's best for us. We do everything that we can to write our stories according to our plan and to keep them on track. And by we, I really me "I". However, rarely if ever, does our journey actually go the way we had hoped. As I walked this morning, I was held captive by three truths. We often can't see where the path leads, it's a mystery. The road curves up ahead, which can be very frustrating. I want to know what's up ahead, but that's where true faith lies. The unknown curve leaves us needing more of Jesus, which is a good thing. We rely less on ourselves because we don't know what to expect. The second observation is there is beauty along the way and the light shines even in the unknown. The sun peeked through the trees as I walked down that wooded path. Beautiful wildflowers lined the way. I could chose to be frustrated that I don't know where the path is winding or I can chose to smell the flowers and bask in the sunshine. This is a practice of reminding ourselves that He is good. I'm definitely not great at trusting the Lord, I had hoped that cancer would have caused me trust Him more fully. I still have a lot to learn about resting in His faithfulness. One thing I do know is that He desires that I keep walking...knowing that He knows my journey and He is good. Finally, our journey will end. I believe the goal of the journey/life is to know the Lord more fully and to honor Him while we journey. The only way that we can know him more fully is to keep walking and not let our fear hold us where we are. So, I choose to keep walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment