Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I Did It!



Yes, Cancer may have left my body weakened for awhile, but my spirit continues to rise and my body is getting stronger each day. Thank you, Lord--to you be the glory! I have enjoyed running since college. I started small. Initially, I ran around our school loop and then increasingly build up my distances. Having a cross country runner for a roommate and dating a track athlete helped fuel my passion. Little by little, I started to develop a passion for pushing myself and running further than I imagined. In 2001, I ran my first half marathon, the Indy 500. It was amazing; everything I had hoped for and more. I loved the runners' high, the feel of the crowds, the exhilaration of pushing myself, and the satisfaction of completing 13.1 miles. In the next couple of years, I completed three more half marathons in Indianapolis and Nashville, each time a new memory was made and a new accomplishment was attained. However, my long distance running ebbed once I started having babies and then when I was about to pick it up again, I got cancer.

Fast forward a couple of years, I set out this January to distance run for my health, but more importantly to remind myself that I would run because I could. I would run with purpose and with heart. I would run for those who had lost their cancer battle and for those who were still fighting their battle. It was an honor and privilege to run again. This half marathon, it wasn't about my time or how well I had trained instead it was about sharing this experience with my close friend, Katie Weber. We challenged each other to run, to not give up, and to honor others we loved each mile. It was beautiful, it was a new beginning. It was so rewarding to see hug my family on the fifth mile and to see them all cheering us on at the finish line! I'm back, and I will keep running!

No comments:

Post a Comment