Wow, it's still so amazing to think about how much our lives have changed over the last few weeks. My heart has expanded in ways that I never thought was possible. Although John Parker will be 3 weeks on Tuesday, our world already seems vastly different. Here are the top 5 takeaways from my brief journey as a mommy.
1. Take advantage of every minute. I feel like I am going to blink and he'll be off to kindergarten and then turning 16 and asking me for the keys to the car. I want to savor these moments of his sweet innocence and new beginnings.
2. Roll with the punches. Some days are more carefree than others. One day he may look into my eyes as if I've hung the moon and others it seems like all my new mom tricks seem to miss the mark.
3. This too shall pass. We know that these sleepless nights are temporary and that they are all a part of joining the parenting club. We're looking forward to longer periods of sleep a few months from now.
4. Count your blessings. We have been surrounded by such amazing support over the last few weeks as family and friends have come for visits, dropped off meals, brought gifts for the little guy and sent cards. We couldn't have done it without your encouragement and support.
5. Don't always live by the book. I have read quite a few books on parenting and sleep habits prior to John Parker's birth. Somehow all the theory in the world can't prepare you for real life. I've learned that you have to go with your instincts. Your baby is uniquely wired, and it's been neat to learn what makes my little man tick.
The learning has just begun. John Parker is making sense of this great big world while we learn to explore the world through his eyes.
Lindsey, these are great highlights of the last 3 weeks! I think my biggest struggle is going to be #5, glad you already recognize that not everything will go as planned.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing you guys Wednesday!